Home News and Events Breast Cancer News New breast cancer clinic opens at Auburn Hospital

New breast cancer clinic opens at Auburn Hospital
Women in Auburn will now be able to access free mammograms with the opening of the new Breast Cancer Institute Sunflower Clinic on the 20th May 2009, Minister Assisting the Minister for Health (Mental Health) Barbara Perry said.

Ms Perry, who officially opened the clinic today, said she hopes the new service located at the new Auburn Hospital will also encourage women from culturally diverse backgrounds to get regular breast examinations.

“Auburn is one of the most culturally diverse local government areas in Australia and the Breast Cancer Institute (BCI) is passionate about improving access to breast screening services for women of all backgrounds and cultures,” Ms Perry said.

Teresita Arambulo, a familiar face around Westmead Hospital, recently visited the new BCI Sunflower Clinic at Auburn Hospital when it was officially opened on the same day as Auburn Hospital was opened.

Teresita, a 63-year-old proud grandmother of three beautiful granddaughters and one handsome grandson, has worked in the Mail Room for the past 13 years and always has a cheerful smile as she delivers the post.

“I really enjoy being able to meet the staff and people all over the hospital,” she said.

But behind Teresita’s smile lingers a deep sadness.

“My sister had breast cancer in the 1980s and died at age 52. They didn’t have the technology to help her at that time in the Phillipines. I didn’t like what happened to my sister. The pain I felt for her, it was really hard to accept.” 

In the 1990s Teresita discovered a lump in her breast, which was resolved with medication Ever since, and particularly because of her sister, she has had yearly mammograms – up until last year.

“I used to get letters telling me where the BreastScreen van was in Liverpool but when the area health service changed, the reminder letter didn’t come and I was due for a mammogram last year.”

In the course of her work, Teresita recently met the Breast Cancer Institute (BCI) Health Education and Marketing Manager Sandra Botic, who told her about the opening of the new BCI Sunflower Clinic at Auburn Hospital after Teresita mentioned she was due for her yearly breast screen. Sandra arranged for Teresita to have her overdue mammogram at the new clinic at Auburn on 20 May, 2009.

“It’s a very nice clinic and the staff were so welcoming. I felt like a VIP so thank you from the bottom of my heart”.

The Hon Barbara Perry, Minister Assisting the Minister for Health (Mental Health), along with SWAHS Chief Executive and BCI Acting Director Barry Finch, cut a bright yellow ribbon at the clinic to mark the official opening.

“The new clinic has been fitted with the latest digital screening equipment that will shorten examination time, reduce the need to have images re-taken, speed up reporting times and improve the quality of images,” Ms Perry said.

Mr Finch said the new clinic, which is located in the Imaging Department at Auburn, is one of eight new clinics opening across the Sydney West area that links screening, diagnosis, treatment and care.

“Eligible local women and our Sydney West staff now have access to a world-class fixed service and will no longer need to wait for a mobile BreastScreen NSW mobile van.”

Mr Finch said Auburn is one of the most culturally diverse local government areas in Australia.

“The Breast Cancer Institute is passionate about improving access to breast screening services for women of all backgrounds and cultures,” he said. The clinic is jointly funded by the BCI, the NSW Breast Cancer Institute, part of Sydney West Area Health Service and BreastScreen NSW.

Mr Finch said "this clinic is one of eight new clinics in 8 months that we are building to increase the access of women in Sydney's West to the free BreastScreen program. At the same time our four hospital based clinics (Lithgow, Katoomba, Mt Druitt and Auburn) provide an ideal opportunity to care for our our own hospital staff who are also at risk of breast cancer"

BCI Executive Director, A/Prof John Boyages said the BCI Sunflower Clinic links screening, diagnosis and treatment together and local women now have a weekly service available.

To make an appointment for a mammogram please phone 13250 or our direct line bookings line (02) 9843 3288.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 19 January 2010 12:33